Sun protection is the single most important skin care tip I can give and I preach about this skin care tip a lot. I am shocked by how many people tell me they skip their daily sunscreen application! Not only does sun exposure cause wrinkles (that’s another post!) but, more importantly, it can cause skin cancer.
One in 5 people will develop skin cancer in their lifetime. And despite all the knowledge we have about how to prevent it, skin cancer is still on the rise! Is your skin protected?
Here is a simple guide to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays:
- Avoid the sun during the peak hours of 10 to 4 – when the sun’s rays are the strongest.
- Avoid sunburns. Five or more sunburns can double your risk of melanoma.
- Apply SPF (sun protection factor) at least 20 min before sun exposure. Make sure to reapply every hour when you are outdoors for prolonged exposure. SPF 30 is adequate.
- When applying, keep in mind that clothing shifts with activity so it is best to apply your sun protection before getting dressed.
- Apply your sun protection product generously. Use at least 1 ounce (about shot glass full) to provide enough coverage.
- Only sunscreens that pass the FDA’s Broad Spectrum test (providing proportional protection against UVA and UVB rays) may be labeled as “Broad Spectrum.”
- Take the time to do self examinations of your skin regularly and visit your dermatologist yearly for a skin check. Early detection can save your life and minimize intense surgery, chemotherapy and radiation!
- Tanning Beds are unsafe. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has placed tanning devices that emit UV radiation in the highest cancer risk category: “carcinogenic to humans.”
- Please educate your friends and family about skin cancer risks and remember to protect your skin when you are outdoors.
Stay tuned for:
Sunscreen recommendations and how to choose the BEST sunscreen for you and your family!
Self-tanner – if you really love a sun-kissed look, how to get the most out of your self tanner.
Cheers to great skin!